Optimizing Predictive Maintenance

Too many of the predictive maintenance programs that have been implemented have failed to generate measurable benefits. These failures have not been caused by technology limitation, but rather by the failure to make the necessary changes in the workplace that would permit maximum utilization of these predictive tools. The following steps can help gain maximum benefits from a predictive maintenance program.

Changing corporate attitude toward the perception of maintenance and predictive maintenance is difficult, but it is required to achieve maximum benefits from a predictive maintenance program. Studies of equipment reliability problems conducted over the past 30 years, maintenance is responsible for about 17% of production interruptions and quality problems. The remaining 83% are totally outside of the traditional maintenance function’s responsibility. Inappropriate operating practices, poor design, non-spec parts, and a myriad of other non-maintenance reasons are the primary contributors to production and product-quality problems, not maintenance.

IncreaesProdCapPredikto